[R] Matrix indexing in a loop

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 05:02:46 CET 2006

Thought about this some more and here is a solution that
works with 2d and 3d (and higher dimensions).

inner is a generalized inner product similar to a function
I have posted previously and f(x,y) is an inner product such
that f(x,y) is TRUE if abs(x - y) == order (after converting
both x and y to numeric) and FALSE otherwise.  Root then
uses as.data.frame.table to turn the array into data frames
with the last column having
the data and the other columns representing the indexes.
We then perform the inner product and use the resulting
matrix to multiply c(x) which is the input strung out
into a vector reshaping it back into the same shape as x.
Finally we divide each cell by the number of surrounding
cells.

root3 <- function(x, order = 1) {
	f <- function(x,y) sum(abs(as.numeric(x) - as.numeric(y))) == order
	inner <- function(a,b,f)
			apply(b,1,function(x)apply(a,1,function(y)f(x,y)))

	Root <- function(x) {
		n <- length(dim(x))
		dd <- sapply(as.data.frame.table(x)[,-n-1], as.numeric)
		structure(inner(dd, dd, f) %*% c(x), .Dim = dim(x))
	}
	Root(x) / Root(1+0*x)
}

# tests