[R] Basic R Problem

Hans-Peter gchappi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 18:11:10 CET 2006

2006/2/17, Peter Arnold <peter at prainvestment.com>:

> > To: Anyone Who Can Help
>
> >> chooseCRANmirror()
> >> utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
> > Warning: unable to access index for repository
> > http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/languages/R/CRAN/bin/windows/contrib/2.2
> > Warning: unable to access index for repository
> > http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.2
> > Error in install.packages(NULL, .libPaths()[1], dependencies = TRUE,
> > type = type) :
> >         no packages were specified

I cannot help you, but maybe I can help you to help yourself:

1) go to the archiv: http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/about.html
2) I tried with the search term: "Warning: unable to access index for
repository"
3) in the result page I took the first entry:
(http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/help/05/10/13619.html)
4) which gave me the answer:
>I expect you need to set a proxy. This is covered in the rw-FAQ that
we do ask you to >read before posting. See the item

>         The internet download functions fail.

5) The rw-FAQ is the Windows FAQ. As I didn't remember where it is, I
just looked at the posting guide
http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html which gave me:

6) http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html or more exactly:
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#The-internet-download-functions-fail_002e

I don't know if this helps, but I think these are the steps that you
should/could do for yourself before asking on the maillist. Of course
it's not always as simple to get the right answers out of the archiv.

--
Regards,
Hans-Peter