[R] nonlinear model: pseudo-design matrix

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Feb 17 05:25:56 CET 2006

	  There doubtless is a way to extract the gradient information you
desire, but have you considered profiling instead?  Are you familiar
with the distinction between intrinsic and parameter effects curvature?
  In brief, part of the nonlinearities involved in nonlinear least
squares are intrinsic to the problem, and part are due to the how the
problem is parameterized.  If you change the parameterization, you
change the parameter effects curvature, but the intrinsic curvature
remains unchanged.  Roughly 30 years ago, Doug Bates and Don Watts
reanalized a few dozen published nonlinear regression fits, and found
that in all but perhaps one or two, the parameter effects were dominant
and the intrinsic curvature was negligible.  See Bates and Watts (1988)
Nonlinear Regression Analysis and Its Applications (Wiley) or Seber and
Wild (1989) Nonlinear Regression (Wiley).

	  Bottom line:

	  1.  You will always get more accurate answers from profiling than
from the Wald "pseudodesign matrix" approach.  Moreover, often the
differences are dramatic.

	  2.  I just did RSiteSearch("profiling with nls").  The first hit was
"http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/library/stats/html/profile.nls.html".
If this is not satisfactory, please explain why.

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves