[R] lme, nlsList, nlsList.selfStart

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Feb 17 02:12:31 CET 2006

	  Regarding the following:

 > mymod3<-nlsList(Conc~Dose * exp(lKe+lKa-lCl) *
 > (exp(-exp(lKe)*Tps)-exp(-exp(lKa)*Tps)) /(exp(lKa)-exp(lKe)),
 >      data=mydata,
 >      start= c(lKe=-2.77, lKa=-1.41, lCl=-1.13)
 > Error in model.frame(formula, rownames, variables, varnames, extras,
 > extranames,  :
 >         variable lengths differ

	  This example is NOT self contained and is entirely too complicated
for me to try to replicate it myself in a reasonable period of time.  I
will therefore ask one short question:  Are all the variable names in
the "nlsList" call either columns of "mydata" or parameters to be
estimated and therefore spelled out in "start"?  If I were you, I'd
check this all very carefully, being especially careful about the
distinction between "lCl" and "lC1", in particular.

	  If you'd like further help with this, I suggest you try to find the
simplest possible example that generates problem you don't understand,
then try to recast that example into one that is completely self
contained, either a data set in the standard R or nlme distribution  or
numbers that one can generate with a very few lines of code.  If you use
random numbers, please "set.seed", to increase your confidence that
someone else will see what you see.  (And please review the posting
guide! "www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html".  Doing so may increase
your chances of getting more useful information more quickly.)

	  spencer graves