[R] using kernel density estimates to infer mode of distribution

Dan Rabosky dlr32 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 16 00:28:25 CET 2006

Hello...

Is it possible to use "density" or another kernel density estimator to
identify the mode of a distribution?  When I use 'density', the resulting
density plot of my data is much cleaner than the original noisy histogram,
and I can clearly see the signal that I am interested in.  E.g., suppose my
data is actually drawn from two or more normal (or other)
distributions.  Looking at the kernel density plots, it seems that the
estimator gives a good approximation of the modal values of each
distribution, but I can't figure out how to obtain these values short of
visually estimating the location of the mode using the plot(density).

Is there a relatively easy way to do this?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Dan Rabosky

Dan Rabosky
Cornell University