[R] arrays of lists in R ("cell arrays" in Matlab)

Giuseppe Pagnoni gpagnon at emory.edu
Wed Feb 15 20:55:37 CET 2006

Dear all

I would like to have some data in the form of a 2-dimensional array
(matrix) of lists, so that I can easily find the desired list object by
indexing the structure by rows and columns.  In matlab there exists a
data type called "cell array": a matrix of "cells", which are composite
objects very similar to R lists.

I know that in R you can create 1-dimensional arrays of lists, either
with the vector() function or by making a list of lists, but it is not
clear to me whether it is actually possible to have 2-dimensional arrays
of lists.

thank you very much for any suggestion

best

    giuseppe