[R] How to handle large dataframes?

Søren Højsgaard Soren.Hojsgaard at agrsci.dk
Tue Feb 14 16:24:45 CET 2006

I think it is well worth the effort to start using a database system like e.g. MySql for such purposes.

If you look at http://gbi.agrsci.dk/~sorenh/misc/R-SAS-MySql/R-SAS-MySql.html
then you'll find a short - and rudimentary - description of how to use MySql in connection with R and SAS (on Windows).

The time you'll have to spend to get it up and running (about 30 minutes) is well spent. I suppose you can take your stata data and save as a comma separate file. Such a file is easy to put into a MySql database (although I haven't written how). Perhaps Stata can connect directly to MySql?

Best regards
Søren