[R] R, AMD Opteron 64, and Rmpi

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz at cnio.es
Tue Feb 14 15:38:00 CET 2006

Dear All,

I found Andy Liaw's suggestion about using a NUMA (instead of SMP) kernel when
running R on amd64 with > 1 CPU

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/35109.html

A couple of questions:

1. Is this still the case with the newer dual-core opterons (e.g., the 275 et
al., families) running Linux (kernel 2.6)?

2. How does this affect using Rmpi (and snow, papply, et al.) on multi-server
clusters with > 1 CPU? If I understand correctly, and if the situation is
what Andy described, if we use a SMP kernel we will suffer a within-node
penalty in one of the Rmpi processes. Is this correct?

Thanks,

R.

--
Ramón Díaz-Uriarte
Bioinformatics Unit

http://ligarto.org/rdiaz
PGP KeyID: 0xE89B3462
(http://ligarto.org/rdiaz/0xE89B3462.asc)

**NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electrónico, y en s...{{dropped}}