[R] search algorithm

James Muller james.muller at anu.edu.au
Mon Feb 13 14:03:11 CET 2006

Hi,

I'm not sure how much weight you're putting on efficiency for your
algorithm, but that sounds unnecessarily complicated. If your matrices
are not too big then maybe something like this would work. Let your
matrix be M and your value be a, then

yoursearch <- function(M, a) {
	# generate abs dist vector
	dist <- abs(M[,"X"]-a)

	# which element is min dist
	argmin <- which.min(dist)

	# return corresponding Y value
	M[argmin,"Y"]
}

There are so many ways to do this faster (google for search algorithms
if you feel so inclined), but I think simplicity is good unless you
have enormous matrices or need to do it a very large number of times.

Anyway, hope this helps

James