[R] Fixing AR coefficients in VAR model

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Feb 9 18:14:21 CET 2006

	  I know of no existing functions in R that support fitting a
multivariate autoregression while fixing some of the parameters.

	  Of course, as Simon Blomberg famously said in April 2005, "This is R.
There is no if. Only how."  [With library(fortunes), try 'fortune("This
is R")'.]  If I had to do fit a multivariate AR today with some
parameters fixed, I might write a function to compute the determinant of
the sample covariance matrix, and give it to "optim" or "nlminb".

	  I hope someone else will provide us with an easier way.

	  hope this helps,
	  spencer graves