[R] prehistoric versions of R --> 1995!

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Tue Feb 7 17:53:00 CET 2006

Martin Maechler wrote:

>    UweL> Petr Pikal wrote:
>    >> Hi
>    >>
>    >> On 6 Feb 2006 at 15:57, ivo welch wrote:
>    >>
>    >> Date sent:      	Mon, 6 Feb 2006 15:57:30 -0500
>    >> From:           	ivo welch <ivowel at gmail.com>
>    >> To:             	Sean Davis <sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov>
>    >> Copies to:      	piet.vanremortel at gmail.com, r-help <r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch>
>    >> Subject:        	Re: [R] R loop
>    >>
>    >>
>    >>>>> data[ data$a == "name2" ]  # does not work and gives a weird
>    >>>>> result,  yuck
>    >>>>
>    >>>> data[data$a=="name2",]
>    >>>>
>    >>>
>    >>> sorry about this.  I believe a few versions back, one could not subset
>    >>> data frames, so I did not even check what I wrote.  Works now.
>    >>
>    >>
>    >> It depends on what you consider few versions back. I started with R
>    >> vesion 1.2.0 about 10 years
>
>    UweL> I bet 200$ (or EUR) you have not used R 10 years ago. ;-)

Is that an open bet or just for Petr?

>    UweL> People certainly remember the 1.0.0 release at the remarkable day
>    UweL> 29-FEB-2000.
>    UweL> 1.2.0 was released in December 2000, about 5 years ago.
>    UweL> I started with 0.62.x in 1998.
>    UweL> The oldest version I found on CRAN is a pre-alpha R.sea.hqx for the Mac
>    UweL> dated 07-Nov-1996.
>
>Eehm; that has a wrong date (or then it would not be pre-alpha):
>I've always entertained the prehistoric directory of R sources
>at ftp://stat.ethz.ch/Software/R/alpha/PreHistoric/
>and its oldest file is
>         Name	           Size    Date
>         R-0.1alpha.tar.gz 861464  Feb 12 1996

I'm pretty sure I was using R 0.16 in the fall of 1996 on Linux, which
was when I got dse largely converted from S. I had a slightly  earlier
version in the spring of 1996 on Solaris. (I think the numbering would
have been 0.11 -0.15 in the spring of 1996.)  I don't think the
numbering was the same on other platforms.

>(which will be 10 years coming Sunday -- what a jubilee!!)
>So, even that is not pre-alpha; and yes, that was a bit before CRAN existed.
>
>Now to the pre-alpha history.  I've digged some more and found
>
>1) that the mac file mentioned above would have
>   correct date 'Nov 6 1995' (at least that's the date I saved
>   when I looked at the Auckland FTP server through Emacs ange-ftp).
>
>2) The oldest stuff that I have is all from 1995;
>   The source I (think I) had first used is dated June 20 1995;
>   notably the  R-unix-src.tar.gz with accompanying README and
>   INSTALL files
>   (There was also ./win subdirectory which I did not use, with
>    files all from July 15, 1995; AFAIK done by Robert Gentleman)
>
> I've now put a bit of these oldest files into
>  ftp://stat.ethz.ch/Software/R/alpha/PreHistoric/pre-alpha/
>
>3) I've kept an e-mail that Ross had sent me on July 28 with
>   two small patches to the (June 20) sources.
>
>   Yes, chances are pretty high that I was the first one outside
>   of the Auckland(NZ)-community to actively use R.

I wouldn't be really sure of that (but it's a fair bet).

>Note it might be interesting to find even older sources, but that
>would most probably have to be by Robert and Ross (or a
>sysadmin at Auckland).

I used to have some floppy disks somewhere...

Paul Gilbert