[R] creating a certain type of matrix

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Tue Feb 7 08:58:59 CET 2006

Hi

as only you know perfectly which halves and other portions of your
matrices contain zeroes and which contain random numbers you has to
finalize the function yourself.
Here are few ideas.

n<-20
mat<-matrix(0,n,(n/2)/5+1) #matrix of zeroes
dd<-dim(mat) # actual dimensions
mat[1:(dd[1]/2),1]<-1 #put 1 in first half of first column
mat[((dd[1]/2)+1):dd[1],1]<-rnorm(dd[1]/2,0,1) #put random numbers in
following part of the matrix column 1
mat[((dd[1]/2)+1):(dd[1]/2)+dd[1]/4,2]<-rnorm(dd[1]/4,0,1) #put
random numbers in column2

than according to n and dd values you can put any numbers anywhere in
your matrix e.g. in for loop (not.tested :-)

for (i in 3:dd[2]) {

arrange everything into following desired columns
e.g.

length.of.rand.numbers <- (i-2)*5
my.rand.num<- rnorm(length.of.rand.numbers, 0,1)
start <- dd[1]/2+dd[1]/4
end <- start + length.of.rand.numbers
mat[start:end, i]<- my.rand.num

}