Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Feb 3 14:48:59 CET 2006

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> writes:

>     Martyn> R is designed to run from its build directory.  But
>     Martyn> if your sysadmin installs it with "make install" (as
>     Martyn> root), then the shell wrapper that is installed in
>     Martyn> /usr/local/bin/R will have R_HOME pointing to the
>     Martyn> right location (/usr/local/lib/R).  Literally moving
>     Martyn> the build directory to another location is the wrong
>     Martyn> thing to do.
> well, but very easily fixable, and that's what Daniel is asking
> for:
> The default value of R_HOME is only set in exactly one place,
> namely the 'R' shell script; editing that script - once after
> the move - is really a piece o'cake.

Hmm, I was about to say the same, but there seems to be unexpected
references in other places.

find `R RHOME` | xargs grep `R RHOME`

(this doesn't normally happen - a SUSE RPM specialty, or due to
configure flag settings?)

Once you start building packages, you also have things like

viggo:~/>find ~/Rlibrary | xargs grep `R RHOME`
Binary file /home/bs/pd/Rlibrary/rgl/libs/rgl.so matches

viggo:~/>find ~/Rlibrary | xargs grep Rlibrary
Binary file /home/bs/pd/Rlibrary/rgl/Meta/hsearch.rds matches
Binary file /home/bs/pd/Rlibrary/ISwR/Meta/hsearch.rds matches
Binary file /home/bs/pd/Rlibrary/mvtnorm/Meta/hsearch.rds matches
Binary file /home/bs/pd/Rlibrary/nlmeODE/Meta/hsearch.rds matches

on my laptop I had a hit on one of the Sweave support files too.

Most likely these are quite harmless, but all in all I think Martyn
has the safest advice: Use "make install", as root (don't forget
"umask 022").

   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Øster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B