[R] How to get the namespace of a function?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Feb 3 00:29:39 CET 2006

On 2/2/2006 5:56 PM, Berton Gunter wrote:
> Just echoing and slightly amplifying Gabor's comment...
>
> The semantics of R are really based on functional programming (LISP-like)
> rather than OOP (JAVA-like)? R's behavior is "proper" from that point of
> view; what is "improper" is Fernando's expectation that it should behave
> some other way.

I don't think it's that so much as trying not to break old code.  It
doesn't make sense to me that the search order within a namespace should
pass through the global environment, but something would break if it
didn't.  (I suspect it's probably the old S3 object system, which
predates namespaces by a long time, but it's been a while since I've
thought about this.)

Duncan Murdoch