[R] is there a way to visualize 3D normal distributions?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Feb 2 12:51:03 CET 2006

On 2/2/2006 3:39 AM, Michael wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> How do I visualize a contour of a tri-variate normal distribution?
>
> I just like to see the ellipsoid very much. I hope there is a easy way or
> existing method in R.

The misc3d package includes a function for 3d contour plots; that should
do what you want.

There are some errors in the rendering when plotting multiple contours,
due to limitations in rgl (the underlying package that does the
rendering).  The problem is that transparent surfaces need to be
rendered in order from back to front, and rgl doesn't do that.  But it
still looks good.

Duncan Murdoch