[R] zero random effect sizes with binomial lmer

Daniel Ezra Johnson johnson4 at babel.ling.upenn.edu
Sun Dec 31 23:50:45 CET 2006

Gregor,

Thanks for your replies.

1) Yes, I have tweaked the data to show as clearly as I can that this is a
bug, that a tiny change in initial conditions causes the collapse of a
reasonable 'parameter' estimate.

2) mcmcsamp() does not work (currently) for binomial fitted models.

3) This is an issue of what happens when the sample is too small. For all
larger data sets I have gotten a ranef variance between 0.05 and 1.00 or
so.

It makes no sense to say that as the data set gets smaller, the systematic
variation between Items goes away. It doesn't, as I've shown. In the data
above, certain Items were still 10+ times as likely (log-odds wise) to
have Response==1 as others.

It may make sense to say that the effect becomes unestimable, due to its
small size. But my understanding is not that this should make the
algorithm return zero as an estimated value.