[R] Failure loading library into second R 2.3.1 session on Windows XP

Talbot Katz topkatz at msn.com
Sat Dec 30 00:00:15 CET 2006

Hi Uwe.

Thank you so much for responding!  I guess I wasn't entirely clear about the
problem.  If I make the mistake of trying to install a package from CRAN in
a second session after I've already installed it in a previous session, it
won't install in the second session, and even if I close the second session
and open a subsequent newer session, it won't install in that one either.
At least, I can't figure out how to do it, because it's no longer in the
"Load packages..." menu, and if I load it from CRAN, I get that funny error
message:
	Warning: cannot remove prior installation of package 'corpcor'

Now, after having gone through this, I know enough not to reload a package
from CRAN.  But it appears that the only ways to solve the problem, if it
occurs, are pretty drastic, either reboot the machine (which is what I did)
or reinstall R (which seems to be what you're suggesting?).  I was hoping
that there might be a better alternative, or at least that the development
team might look into this issue for future releases.  This doesn't affect
every package, but I've seen it in the first two packages I tried it with.

--  TMK  --
212-460-5430	home
917-656-5351	cell