[R] Rating competitors

Michael Kubovy kubovy at virginia.edu
Tue Dec 26 19:56:24 CET 2006

I would start with elimination-by-aspects models:
?eba
I would read the Tversky 1972 paper (cited on the help page for the
eba() function), which is brilliant.

Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> I am looking for hints on how to estimate ratings for competitors
> in an ongoing pairwise competition using R... my particular area of
> interest being the game of Go, but the idea of identifying ratings
> (on a continuous scale) rather than relative rankings seems easily
> generalized to other competitions so I thought someone might be
> studying something related already.
>
> I presume the rating of a competitor would be best modeled as a random
> variate on the rating scale, and an encounter between two
> competitors would be represented by a binary result.  Logistic
> regression
> seems promising, but I am at a loss how to represent the model since
> the pairings are arbitrary and not necessarily repeated often.
_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/