[R] OT: any recommendation for scripting language

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 17:46:17 CET 2006

I used gawk and perl prior to using R but as I got more proficient in
R I found I could do just about everything in R itself and have largely
forgotten perl at this point and rarely use gawk either.  I must say
I never liked perl and if python were more mature back then I
probably would have used that.

I do use Windows batch commands and javascript, e.g.
  http://code.google.com/p/batchfiles/
for situations where I want self contained, no dependency, installation
and configuration scripts; however, I don't really like Windows batch
commands and if it were not for the requirement of no dependencies
I would not use it.   This does have the disadvantage of not being
portable to other OSes but the no dependency requirement is
overriding in these situations.

Maybe if you could discuss what you intend to do more can be said.