[R] mclust priors

Finny Kuruvilla kuruvill at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Dec 20 22:36:50 CET 2006

I am currently exploring mclust to do clustering by Gaussian mixture
modeling.  There are typically 1-5 clusters in my datasets.

In the latest version of mclust (version 3), there is now the ability
to specify priors.  However, I am confused about the implementation.
I've read through the documentation about priorControl() and
defaultPrior() which describe the specification of a single prior for
a dataset.  But I often have a prior for all of my clusters -- how do
I specify that, i.e. give the program multiple means and multiple
covariance matrices for where I believe the clusters will be a priori?

Thanks,
Finny Kuruvilla