[R] Upgrading

DEEPANKAR BASU basu.15 at osu.edu
Wed Dec 20 17:37:10 CET 2006

Thanks for the comments. I had got Thomas' message wrong the first time. Now, I have downloaded and re-installed the latest version of R. After reading the "administration and maintenance" manual, I added

deb http://cran.R-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu dapper/

to my sources.list file and used apt-get to install the latest version. After the installation, I used update.packages() from with R to update all the packages. Let me know if this was what was required or I made some mistake.

I have two questions:
1. When a new version of R is released (every 6 months or so I believe) will I have to uninstall the version of R in my machine and then download and install the latest version?
2. When I used update.packages() from within R (after installing the latest version), I still got the following warning messages:

Warning messages:
1: installation of package 'cluster' had non-zero exit status in: install.packages(update[, "Package"], instlib, contriburl = contriburl,
2: installation of package 'mgcv' had non-zero exit status in: install.packages(update[, "Package"], instlib, contriburl = contriburl,
3: cannot create HTML package index in: tools:::unix.packages.html(.Library)

I cannot understand what to make of these?

Thanks for all the help.

Deepankar