[R] R.matlab question

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 20 11:45:57 CET 2006

Hi.

On 12/20/06, Aimin Yan <aiminy at iastate.edu> wrote:
> Does anyone know how to solve this question about R.matlab?
> I am in windowsXP, my matlab is matlab 7.0.0 19920(R14)
>
> thanks,
>
> Aimin
>
>  > matlab <- Matlab(host="localhost", port=9998)
>  > if (!open(matlab)) throw("Matlab server is not running: waited 30 seconds.")
> Error in list("throw("Matlab server is not running: waited 30 seconds.")" =
> <environment>,  :
>
> [2006-12-17 22:26:03] Exception: Matlab server is not running: waited 30
> seconds.
>    at throw(Exception(...))
>    at throw.default("Matlab server is not running: waited 30 seconds.")
>    at throw("Matlab server is not running: waited 30 seconds.")
> In addition: There were 30 warnings (use warnings() to see them)
>  > warnings
> function (...)
> UseMethod("warnings")
>  > warnings()
> Warning messages:
> 1: localhost:9998 cannot be opened
> 2: localhost:9998 cannot be opened
[snip]
> 30: localhost:9998 cannot be opened

This could be because your firewall is blocking R from connecting
to Matlab.  Try a few different port numbers.  I recently learned that
the current default port in R.matlab might not be the best one;
different port intervals are reserved for different purposes, cf.
http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers.  That document indicates
that a port number in [49152, 65535] might be better.  See if this
helps.  Does someone else knowof a port interval that is more likely
to work in general?

You can also tell the Matlab object to report more details what it is
trying to do by setting the verbosity threshold, i.e.
setVerbose(matlab, threshold=-1); the lower the threshold the more
details you'll see.

Cheers

Henrik