[R] Replay recorded plot with new layout

rork rork at athens.net
Mon Dec 18 19:19:24 CET 2006

Folks,
Please help with a graphics problem, I am running R2.4.0 on Windows XP.
In much earlier version of R (1.3? about December 2001)
I could
  par(mfrow=c(1,1))
  plot(1,1,xlab="X",ylab="Y")
  plot1<-recordPlot()
  plot(2,2,xlab="X2",ylab="Y2")
  plot2<-recordPlot()
  par(mfrow=c(2,1))
  plot1
  plot2

and produce the same effect as the following (the above no longer produces
this layout):

  par(mfrow=c(2,1))
  plot(1,1,xlab="X",ylab="Y")
  plot(2,2,xlab="X2",ylab="Y2")

It seems replaying plots now uses the original par or layout that was in
effect when they were recorded.
Is there some new method that allows a saved plot to be replayed in a new
layout.

As the graphical display of data and model predictions, plots are often the
end result of a lengthy bit of data manipulation and modeling, with layers
of points and lines and text, etc, and I like to be able to see a larger
version of the graph, and then when they are all produced, replay them with
a more concise page layout.  I'd appreciate your help in making the
transition to the new R version.

Thanks,
rork