[R] Segfault in pure R code

Göran Broström goran.brostrom at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 21:18:26 CET 2006

I just caught a segfault:

> courses("Ingrid")

 *** caught segfault ***
address 0x99b279c, cause 'memory not mapped'

Traceback:
 1: structure(y, class = oldClass(x), row.names = attr(x, "row.names"))
 2: `[.data.frame`(gudata, -(1:5))
 3: gudata[-(1:5)]
 4: names(gudata[-(1:5)])
 5: inherits(x, "factor")
 6: is.factor(table)
 7: match(x, table, nomatch = 0)
 8: who %in% names(gudata[-(1:5)])
 9: courses("Ingrid")

when running a function 'courses' in an R package without compiled
code. Is this "possible"? I have got many segfaults when testing my
own packages, but it has always been caused by stupidities in C or
Fortran code, never with pure R code.

So, before I start debugging, I'd like to know if a segfault in pure R
code indicates  a bug in R itself, or if it can be in my function?

I have used 'courses' many times before without problems.

Thanks,

Göran
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.4.0 Patched (2006-10-29 r39744)
i686-pc-linux-gnu

--
Göran Broström