[R] expression()

javier garcia-pintado jgarcia at ija.csic.es
Tue Dec 12 16:59:11 CET 2006

Hi,
I'm trying to use expression() to write a text to a graphic in the margin.

Using:

mtext(expression(beta),side=1,line=2)

writes a perfect beta greek character, but I need to add a subindex
"max", and I'm trying:

mtext(paste(expression(beta),"max"),side=1,line=2)

simply writes "beta max" in the plot.

Please, Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

By the way, is there a way to add Latex expressions to graphics? Then I
could use the Latex expression: $\beta_{\mathrm{max}}$. This also would
be very useful for me for more complex expressions in plots.

Best regards,

Javier

--
Javier García-Pintado
Institute of Earth Sciences Jaume Almera (CSIC)
e-mail:jgarcia at ija.csic.es