[R] R2WinBUGS and calling WinBUGS in Crossover MAC BETA

Kenneth Benoit kbenoit at tcd.ie
Mon Dec 11 09:37:34 CET 2006

Ben Bolker wrote:
> Kenneth Benoit <kbenoit <at> tcd.ie> writes:
>
>> Hi there - I have a question for any of you who use R2WinBUGS to call
>> WinBUGS using the useWINE option in that package.
>>
>> I have Codeweaver's Crossover emulator installed on my Intel Mac with
>> WinBUGS working fine if I start it from Crossover.  But there is
>> supposed to be a way to start it directly from a command line, which I
>> could pass to the R2WinBUGS using the bugs(..., useWINE="something")
>> argument.
>>
>> Has anyone tried this yet?  Thanks!
>>

>    useWINE=TRUE.  You may have to set some environment
> variables (e.g. WINE is the path to your WINE executable).
> It's supposed to just work out of the box.  I have some
> fixes that I've been meaning to upload to complement
> the existing stuff, but haven't.  If you run into
> trouble drop me a line.
>
>  Ben Bolker

Many thanks for that quick reply.  I have tried useWINE=TRUE but this
does not work on the Mac.  I am using CrossOver for Mac Beta (6.0.0b2).
  When I call:

bugs(..., useWINE=TRUE, newWINE=TRUE)

then I get this message:
Error in if (!nchar(WINEPATH)) { : argument is of length zero

I think the problem is that the command line call for cxoffice (similar
to "wine") is different on the Mac from the Linux version.  For instance
I have the following application bundles:

/Applications/CrossOver.app/
~/Applications/CrossOver/WinBUGS14.app

but I cannot figure out how to start WinBUGS14.app from the command
line.  If I did then I could supply this command to bugs(..., WINE="").

Best,

Ken