[R] Rcmdr package

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Dec 9 22:38:43 CET 2006

On 9 December 2006 at 16:02, İbrahim Mutlay wrote:
| Dear R users,
|
| I want to install the Rcmdr package in a Quantian linux machine, but, when i
| tried that, following commands appeared:

Well, Quantian should already contain Rcmdr, albeit an older version given
that there hasn't been a Quantian release in a while.

| ** building package indices ...
| * DONE (Rcmdr)
|
| The downloaded packages are in
|         /tmp/RtmpuOikyk/downloaded_packages
| > library("Rcmdr")
| Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
|         Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system
| Error: package 'tcltk' could not be loaded
| > library("tcltk")
| Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
|         Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system
| Error in library("tcltk") : .First.lib failed for 'tcltk'
|
| I do not know why my OS does not support the Tcl/Tk.

Neitehr do I, and Quantian 'as shipped' obviously contains working R, tcltk,
Rcmdr and a number of other applications.

Did you rebuild R and not build tcl/tk support with it?  What does this
command show on your box?  tcltk is indicated by the third element:

edd at basebud:~> echo "capabilities()" | R --no-save | tail -6
> capabilities()
    jpeg      png    tcltk      X11 http/ftp  sockets   libxml     fifo
    TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
  cledit    iconv      NLS
   FALSE     TRUE     TRUE

Hth, Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison