[R] Show date on graph

Syed Abid Hussaini ohitsabid at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 5 23:12:14 CET 2006

I have a character "2006-11-06" which was originally scanned from a csv file. This character is
named date. I now use mtext (date) on a plot and i see strange cluttered characters instead of
2006-11-06. I tried many ways but i dont know whats going on. Then for testing i made an
artificial character d <- ("2006-11-06") and now when i do mtext (d) it shows up on the plot.
While both date and d return "2006-11-06" only d shows up on the plots. Any help would be appreciated.