[R] creating column based on another variable

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon Dec 4 09:06:21 CET 2006

Jeff Miller wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I hope someone can help me with this.
>

> Suppose I import a text file and one of the columns looks like this:
>

> New York
>
> New York
>
> England
>
> Spain
>
> Spain
>
> Orlando
>
> New York
>
> England
>
> France

I don't understand the semantics here. You are mixing cities and countries.

> I want to add a variable that is based on the previous one
>

> US
>
> US
>
> Europe
>
> Europe
>
> Europe
>
> US
>
> US
>
> Europe
>
> Europe

Now you are mixing a single country and a whole continent.

Is this some homework?

You should consider to tell R which cities are in the US and which
countries are in Europe and than try to match appropriately ...
As the footer of this message says:
"PLEASE do read the posting guide
http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html"
which tells you to read introductory material and to specify some code
examples and details that you already have got. Then it's much easier
for us to help.

Uwe Ligges