[R] lmer and a response that is a proportion

Cameron Gillies cgillies at ualberta.ca
Mon Dec 4 00:30:46 CET 2006

Dear Brian and John,

Thanks for your insight.  I'll clarify a couple of things incase it changes
your advice.

My response is a ratio of two measures taken during a bird's path, which
varies from 0  to 1, so I cannot convert it columns of the number of
successes.  It has to be reported as the proportion.  I could logit
transform it to make it normal, but I am trying to avoid that so I can
analyze it directly.

The subjects are individual birds and I have a range of sample sizes from
each bird (from 8 to >200, average of about 75 measurements/bird).

Thanks!
Cam