[R] lme function

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Dec 1 17:00:30 CET 2006

      RSiteSearch("lme spatial correlation", "functions") produced 10
hits for me just now.  The sixth title on that list was "spatial
correlation structure"
(http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/library/nlme/html/corSpher.html).  This
is the help page for the "corSpher" function.  The Examples section
there includes references to selected pages in Pinheiro and Bates (2000)
Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-Plus (Springer), which  for me is
essential documentation for 'lme' and is the best book I know on
mixed-effects models generally.  The value of that book is greatly
enhanced by the availability of script files "ch01.R", "ch02.R", ...,
"ch06.R", "ch08.R" (in the "~R\library\nlme\scripts" subdirectory of
your R installation directory).  These contain R code to reproduce all
the data analyses in the book.  There are a very few cases where the
syntax is different between R and that documented in the book [e.g., x^2
must be I(x^2)].  Before I found the script files, I couldn't understand
why I got substantially different results from the book when just typing
the commands into R.

       Hope this helps.
      Spencer Graves