[R] two density curves in one plot?

Ritwik Sinha ritwik.sinha at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 02:18:38 CEST 2006

Hi Gabor and Dimitris,

I was wondering if this question was frequent enough to be in the R
FAQ under R Miscellanea and thought of something like this

Q. How do I plot two curves on the same graph?

A. Plot the first curve using the plot() command and add lines using
lines(). For example

d1 <- density(rnorm(100))
d2 <- density(rnorm(100))
plot(range(d1$x, d2$x), range(d1$y, d2$y), type = "n", xlab = "x",
ylab = "Density")
lines(d1, col = "red")
lines(d2, col = "blue")

Alternatively one can use points() to add points to the plot.

If you think this question should be in the FAQ and if you have any
comments/changes to the QA then I can request the maintainer of the
FAQ to include it. We could also include a lattice solution but I was
thinking of not complicating things.

Ritwik Sinha