[R] issues with Sweave and inclusion of graphics in a document

Friedrich Leisch Friedrich.Leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de
Sat Aug 26 11:57:39 CEST 2006

  > --- Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
  >> savePlot is just an internal version of dev.copy, part of the support for
  >> the menus on the windows() graphics device.
  >>
  >> It is described in `An Introduction to R' (the most basic R manual).

  > "the most basic R manual" doesn't quite answer my question.

  > by itself, dev.copy doesn't copy the width and height of the device whereas savePlot
  > copies whatever is displayed on the screen giving me what-you-see-is-what-you-save
  > capabilities (but only under the Windows OS).

  > i can get pretty close to this in linux by writing a function to save the
  > plot to a pdf device:
  > <<label=first.ar.1, results=hide>>=
  > 	# no savePlot in Linux ... so write my own function
  > 	savePlotAsPdf<- function(pdfname, from=dev.cur()) {
  > 		from<- from
  > 		pdf(pdfname, width=width, height=height)
  > 		to<- dev.cur()
  > 		dev.set(from)
  > 		dev.copy(which=to)
  > 		dev.off()
  > 	}
  > 	# a long AR process is best viewed in a wide window ...
  > 	# width & height are now variables
  > 	width<- 20; height<- 5
  > 	x11(width=width, height=height)
  > 	sp<- make.ar.1(alpha=.5, n=800)
  > 	plot(sp, type="l", col="blue")
  > 	# width & height via dynamic scoping in savePlotAsPdf
  > 	savePlotAsPdf("ar.pdf")
  > @

Umm, maybe I don't get your point, but in what way does the complicated
code above do anythingdifferent from

<<results=hide>>=
sp<- make.ar.1(alpha=.5, n=800)
@

<<ar,fig=true,width=20,height=5,include=false>>=
plot(sp, type="l", col="blue")
@

\begin{figure}
  \includegraphics[width=14.5cm]{myprefix-ar}
\end{figure}

???

Best,

Prof. Dr. Friedrich Leisch

Institut für Statistik                          Tel: (+49 89) 2180 3165
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität                  Fax: (+49 89) 2180 5308
Ludwigstraße 33
D-80539 München                 http://www.stat.uni-muenchen.de/~leisch