[R] How to iteratively extract elements out of a list

xpRt.wannabe xprt.wannabe at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 06:45:50 CEST 2006

Jim and Patrick,

Both of you made the same suggestion, which works great!

A follow-up question: Suppose I change the condition 'x>2' in 'lapply'
to 'x>4', as follows:

set.seed(123)
tmpf <- function() {
x <- rpois(rpois(1,4),2)
}
n <- 3
m <- replicate(n,tmpf())
sub.m <- lapply(m, function(x)x[x>4])  # was x>2

As a result, I'd get:

> sub.m

[[1]]
numeric(0)

[[2]]
[1] 5

[[3]]
numeric(0)

However, what would I need to do such that 'sub.m' contains only the
non-zero length component; namely, the 'sub.m[[2]]'?  In essence, I'd
like to drop all the components of zero length such that 'sub.m'
results in:

[[1]]
[1] 5

My best effort was to use 'lapply' again:

lapply(sub.m, function(x)x[length(x)>0])

which still gives me:

[[1]]
numeric(0)

[[2]]
[1] 5

[[3]]
numeric(0)

Again, any help would be greately appreciated.

p.s. Sorry to bug you again.   I should have thought through a little
more prior to composing an example that would represent all possible
scenarios.