[R] fitting a gaussian to some x,y data

MARK LEEDS markleeds at verizon.net
Fri Aug 25 22:35:14 CEST 2006

hi michael : ( i stupidly didn't send the initial email to the whole list so
they will have to read from the bottom ),  it's clearer now but "fitting a
gaussian" still may not be the right thing to do in this case. someone else
can answer better but it sounds to me like you want to do some kind of
regression ( i dont know whether it would be linear or glm or what )  using
distance versus brightness.
i have no clue about astronomy but if you think there is a relationship
between them  then this is probably the more appropriate approach to take.
again, don't take my word in stone. someone else
will likely reply.