[R] Authoring a book

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz at cnio.es
Fri Aug 25 10:38:05 CEST 2006

Dear Tom,

To add a few things to explore:

- I'd definitely go with LaTeX. Depending on how much formatting control you
want, though, and if your coworkers are reluctant to jump into LaTeX, you
might start with reStructuredText (http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html)
or text2tags (http://txt2tags.sourceforge.net/). With both, you can produce
LaTeX, but innitially at least it allows you to write text with structure
using markup that is a lot simpler than latex.

- I'd definitely use a version control system. Instead of CVS or SVN, though,
I'd suggest you take a look at some of the distributed ones, in particular
Bazaar-NG (http://bazaar-vcs.org), Mercurial
(http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi) or Darcs
(http://abridgegame.org/darcs/).

These three are probably among the most mature ones (though oppinions will
vary, of course; I have some notes and links at:
http://www.ligarto.org/rdiaz/VersionControl.html).

What I like about any of these is that I think they provide you essentially
all SVN can provide (except for the user-base and years of existence of SVN)
plus a lot more. For instance, if you often work without access to the remote
repository, with any of these three systems you can enjoy all the benifits of
version control. Cherry-picking is easier with any of these than with
CVS/SVN, and Darcs in particular excels at it.

- For bibliography, I find CiteULike (http://www.citeulike.org/) fabulous.
Needs internet access, and might not work with the journals/data bases that
you use, though. It can export as bibtex.

- If you find outliners useful (or absolutely essential) then you might want
to look at Leo (http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html). Leo is
agnostic regarding whether you write LaTeX, plain text, or R code (though it
has great support for some languages such as Python or rst), and you can use
Leo and still edit files in your editor of choice (I use Leo for working with
fairly large latex files that I edit under Emacs). However, for this to work,
all of you should agree to use Leo (or at least not disturb the "sentinel
lines" that leo uses).

Hope this helps (or at least provides entertaining links :-).

R.

--
Ramón Díaz-Uriarte
Bioinformatics

http://ligarto.org/rdiaz
PGP KeyID: 0xE89B3462
(http://ligarto.org/rdiaz/0xE89B3462.asc)

**NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electrónico, y en s...{{dropped}}