[R] Problem in library.dynam problems on Linux

Sinnwell, Jason P. Sinnwell.Jason at mayo.edu
Thu Aug 24 23:21:11 CEST 2006

We have R 2.2.1 installed on a Linux cluster that seems to have problems loading either of our shared object libraries for packages.  This seems to be happening on both local and global versions of packages that we install.  However, we have only noticed this problem in the past 3 months on this R installation, whereas some users had success before then.  It could be that something on our system changed, but I am not an admin so I wouldn't know where to look.  Can anyone help with this problem?

## A LOCAL INSTALLATION OF HAPLO.STATS APPEARS SUCCESSFUL
[sinnwell at dnode0 rpack]$ R CMD INSTALL -l /home/sinnwell/rdir/tmplib haplo.stats
* Installing *source* package 'haplo.stats' ...
** libs
make: `haplo.stats.so' is up to date.
** R
** data
** demo
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading

** help
 >>> Building/Updating help pages for package 'haplo.stats'
     Formats: text html latex example
** building package indices ...
* DONE (haplo.stats)

## TRY AND LOAD THE LOCALLY INSTALLED LIBRARY, YET THE SYSTEM COMMAND SHOWS THE .so FILE IS THERE

R> library(haplo.stats, lib.loc="/home/sinnwell/rdir/tmplib/")
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
        unable to load shared library '/home/sinnwell/rdir/tmplib/haplo.stats/libs/haplo.stats.so':
  /home/sinnwell/rdir/tmplib/haplo.stats/libs/haplo.stats.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Error in library(haplo.stats, lib.loc = "/home/sinnwell/rdir/tmplib/") :
        .First.lib failed for 'haplo.stats'
R> system('ls -al /home/sinnwell/rdir/tmplib/haplo.stats/libs')
total 88
drwxr-xr-x   2 sinnwell sinnwell  4096 Aug 24 15:14 .
drwxr-xr-x  13 sinnwell sinnwell  4096 Aug 24 15:14 ..
-rwxr-xr-x   1 sinnwell sinnwell 61566 Aug 24 15:14 haplo.stats.so
R> version
         _
platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i686
os       linux-gnu
system   i686, linux-gnu
status
major    2
minor    2.1
year     2005
month    12
day      20
svn rev  36812
language R

Also, the .First.lib for haplo.stats looks like this:

.First.lib <- function(lib, pkg) {
   library.dynam("haplo.stats", pkg, lib)
}

Thanks for you suggestions,