[R] installing the x86_64 R Binary on Fedora Core 5

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 24 18:51:01 CEST 2006

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, roger bos wrote:

> Thanks so much Marc & Stefan!  The GUI wasn't telling me what I was
> missing.  The terminal told me I was missing tk-8.4.12-1.2.x86_64.rpm so I
> went and got that and it installed without errors.  Then I could't figure
> out how to launch R through the GUI so I went back to the terminal and typed
> "R" and it launched.  I have a lot to learn but I want to thank you so much
> for getting me started.
>
> Another question:
> As I said, I don't have internet access on the linux machine, so is there
> any way to copy the library folder from my windows machine to the linux box
> and install the packages from there?

No, but what you can do on Windows is use
download.packages(..., type="source"), and copy the folder into which you
downloaded to your Linux box.

To avoid continually needing root access, I would do

cd ~
mkdir Rlibrary
cat > .Renviron
~/Rlibrary
^D

cd folder-with-downloaded-sources
foreach f (*.tar.gz)
R CMD INSTALL -l ~/Rlibrary $f
end

The next time you start R the installed packages should be available to
you.