[R] Intro to Programming R Book

John Kane jrkrideau at yahoo.ca
Thu Aug 24 14:24:12 CEST 2006

--- Raphael Fraser <raphael.fraser at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am new to R and am looking for a book that can
> help in learning to
> program in R. I have looked at the R website
> suggested books but I am
> still not sure which book best suite my needs. I am
> interesting in
> programming, data manipulation not statistics. Any
> suggestions?
>
> Raphael

I have not been able to get my hands on much since
someone has raided the local library and grabbed all
the R  books on long-term loan but I have found that
there is some very useful material on the CRAN site
under "Other"

I have found An Introduction to S and the Hmisc and
Design Libraries” by Carlos Alzola and Frank E.
Harrell very useful as is Simple R” by John Verzani.
There are also some other intro tutorials on line that
might be helpful. One I found useful is
http://www.math.ilstu.edu/dhkim/Rstuff/Rtutor.html

I just recently got my hands on John Fox's book "An R
and S-Plus Companion to Applied Regression" and it has
some very useful discussions of data handling. Ch.2
and Ch.7 (on graphs) is useful.