[R] syntax for pdDiag (nlme)

i.m.s.white i.m.s.white at ed.ac.uk
Thu Aug 24 12:33:39 CEST 2006

At the top of page 283 of Pinheiro and Bates, a covariance structure for
the indomethicin example is specified as

random = pdDiag(A1 + lrc1 + A2 + lrc2 ~ 1)

The argument to pdDiag() looks like a two-sided formula, and I'm struggling
to reconcile this with the syntax described in Ch4 of the book and online.
Further down page 283 the formula is translated into

list(A1 ~ 1, lrc1 ~ 1, A2 ~ 1, lrc2 ~ 1)

which I find just as puzzling. Can anyone help?

*    I.White                                   *
*    University of Edinburgh                   *
*    Ashworth Laboratories, West Mains Road    *
*    Edinburgh EH9 3JT                         *
*    Fax: 0131 650 6564   Tel: 0131 650 5490   *
*    E-mail: i.m.s.white at ed.ac.uk              *