[R] negatively skewed data; reflecting

Eik Vettorazzi vettorazzi at econ.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Aug 23 15:02:38 CEST 2006

a simple reflection (on the y-axis) of x is -x, but you have to ensure
that there are only nonnegative numbers if you want to use the log
transformation. So you should reflect on a postive number z greater than
abs(min(x)), if min(x)<0. This is done by z-x.
Why don't you simply shift your data by this amount z or use a
box-cox-transformation at all?