[R] Marginal Predicitions from nlme and lme4

Rick Bilonick bilonickra at upmc.edu
Wed Aug 23 00:39:24 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 06:43 +1000, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> Rick,
>
> if by marginal prediction, you mean the prediction without random
> effects, then use the "level" argument.  See ?predict.lme or ?fitted.lme
>
> If not then I don't know :)
>
> Cheers
>
> Andrew
Thanks. I'm familiar with level in predict and fitted for lme. These
allow you to select the fixed effects and/or the random effects. The
marginal prediction integrates out the random effects and is what a GEE
marginal model produces. From what I've read, the marginal effects seem
to be less desirable than the fixed effects from an lme or a generalized
lme. But I would still like to compute them for comparison.

Rick B.