[R] string-to-number

Charles Annis, P.E. Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
Sat Aug 19 13:58:30 CEST 2006

Greetings, Amigos:

I have been trying without success to convert a character string,
> repeated.measures.columns
[1] "3,6,10"

into c(3,6,10) for subsequent use.

as.numeric(repeated.measures.columns) doesn't work (likely because of the
commas)
[1] NA
Warning message:
NAs introduced by coercion

I've tried many things including
strsplit(repeated.measures.columns, split = ",")

which produces a list with only one element, viz:
[[1]]
[1] "3"  "6"  "10"

as.numeric() doesn't like that either.

Clearly: 1) I cannot be the first person to attempt this, and 2) I've made
this WAY harder than it is.

Would some kind soul please instruct me (and perhaps subsequent searchers)
how to convert the elements of a string into numbers?

Thank you.

Charles Annis, P.E.

Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
phone: 561-352-9699
eFax:  614-455-3265
http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com