[R] R-update - what about packages and ESS?

Christian Hennig chrish at stats.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Aug 18 18:07:06 CEST 2006

Thanks for the answers so far.

I have to go through this with my system administrator.

The system is slackware linux.

> For Unix-alikes, it all depends how the update was done, but normal
> package update mechanisms (such as RPM) will not wipe out previously
> installed R packages: nor will 'make install'.

I don't really understand what "does not wipe out" means. Certainly, the
packages are not deleted from the hard disk, but...

Am I right that I should expect it as standard behaviour that all
previously installed packages are found if R is updated in a
straightforward manner (using "make install", say)?
Or is the opposite true that I definitely should not expect it? (And is
there any standard solution for this else than installing all packages
again?)

> In either case you don't need root access to install packages, as you can
> use a private library.

That's not really enough because I want to have them accessible to
students as well. Furthermore, the sysadmin may develop kind of a "the
whole R-thing is crap"-attitude if I can't come up with a solution
preventing new installation of all packages, and I don't really want
that. So I'm rather not interested in discussing solutions
which involve installing all packages again (I know that this is possible).

Best,
Christian

Christian Hennig
University College London, Department of Statistical Science
Gower St., London WC1E 6BT, phone +44 207 679 1698
chrish at stats.ucl.ac.uk, www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~ucakche