[R] ARMA(1,1) for panel data

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Aug 18 11:42:10 CEST 2006

      For "normal" panel data, the standard R tool is the nlme package,
documented in Pinheiro and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effects Models for S and
S-Plus (Springer).  See the examples in ?corARMA.

      I recommend you spend some quality time with Pinheiro and Bates
(2000).  If you do that, I suggest you start by looking at "ch01.R",
"ch02.R", ..., "ch06.R", "ch08.R" in "~library\nlme\scripts" in your R
installation directory.  These files contain the R commands used in Ch.
1, Ch. 2, etc., of that book.  Using them makes studying that book
easier, more pleasant and productive for several reasons.  First, they
save you the work of typing in the commands yourself.  Second, they save
you the agony of wondering why you didn't get their answer when you have
a typographical error.  Third, there are a very few subtle syntax
changes between the book and R that generate different answers for the
unwary.  Fourth, you can experiment with different alternatives to test
your understanding, etc.

      If your data required non-normal models, I would recommend 'lmer'
associated with the 'lme4' package.  However, that's newer and does not
have the same level of documentation, helper functions, etc.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer Graves