[R] How to show classes of all columns of a data frame?

Marc Schwartz (via MN) mschwartz at mn.rr.com
Tue Aug 15 19:19:35 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 13:10 -0400, T Mu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Suppose I have a data frame myDF, col A is factor, col B is numeric, col C
> is character. I can get their classes by
>
> > class(myDF$A)
>
> but is there a quick way to show what classes of all columns are? Thank you.
>
> Tian

Depending upon the output format you desire:

> lapply(iris, class)
$Sepal.Length
[1] "numeric"

$Sepal.Width
[1] "numeric"

$Petal.Length
[1] "numeric"

$Petal.Width
[1] "numeric"

$Species
[1] "factor"

or

> sapply(iris, class)
Sepal.Length  Sepal.Width Petal.Length  Petal.Width      Species
   "numeric"    "numeric"    "numeric"    "numeric"     "factor"

See ?lapply and ?sapply

HTH,

Marc Schwartz