[R] Question on .Options$max.print

Hans-Joerg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Mon Aug 14 17:56:30 CEST 2006

I have a tiny question concerning .Options$max.print

I have to set up this value to a greater value than 10000 because I
want to concatenate my output of a function to one single string (for

I did this via .Options$max.print <- 64000 or options(max.print=64000)

Then I call out <- paste(out, blabla) several times, but nchar(out)
is never larger than 10000.

I read in the help about '.Options' that this is not yet used in base
R. Could this be my problem?

Thanks for any hint

BTW I believe, there is a typo within the help page about '.Options'

The ‘factory-fresh’ default settings of some of these options are
max.print     1000

This should be
max.print     10000