[R] Fitting data with optim or nls--different time scales

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Aug 10 10:40:59 CEST 2006

<see in line>

Leslie Chavez wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a system of ODE's I can solve with lsoda.
> Model=function(t,x,parms)
> {
>     #parameter definitions
>     lambda=parms[1]; beta=parms[2];
>     d = parms[3]; delta = parms[4];
>      p=parms[5];    c=parms[6]
>       xdot[1] = lambda - (d*x[1])- (beta*x[3]*x[1])
>       xdot[2] = (beta*x[3]*x[1]) - (delta*x[2])
>       xdot[3] = (p*x[2]) - (c*x[3])
>     return(list(xdot))
> }
> I want to fit the output out[,4] to experimental data that is only
> available on days 0, 7, 12, 14, 17, and 20. I don't know how to set up
> optim or nls so that it takes out[,4] on the appropriate day, but still
> runs lsoda on a time scale of 0.01 day.
> Below is the function I've been using to run 'optim', at the
> course-grained time scale:
SG:  What about the following:

  Modelfit=function(s) {
	lsodaTimes <- seq(min(times),max(times), by=0.01)
	obsTimes <- (100*times-1)
  #	cat(times)

	  Your example is not self contained, so obviously I haven't tried this
with it.  However, something of this nature should work fine, I believe.
  Something similar but different should also work, I believe, with
'nls';  this would give you access to many helper functions (see
"methods(class='nls')").  If 'nls' bombed on me, I'd then try 'optim' as
it is less brittle.  Then I might use the output of 'optim' as initial
values for 'nls' to get confidence intervals etc.

	  hope this helps.
	  Spencer Graves