[R] Can one use correlations (or R^2) as data for an ANOVA?

Jose Quesada quesada at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 18:25:36 CEST 2006

Dear all,

This may seem obvious for some of you, but it got me thinking.
Can one use correlations (or R^2) as data for an ANOVA?

The case in hand: I have several models fitting the same data (individual fits
per subject). The different models fitting the same guy will produce different
R^2, I was wondering if these could be used as dependent variable in a repeated
measures design where the repeated factors are the different models.

For some reason, this "analysis of variance on 'variance explained' as data
rings a bell as something not methodologically correct. On the other hand, R^2
may be distributed in a way that fulfill of the ANOVA assumptions.

Is it an aberration?

Thanks a lot in advance,
-Jose