[R] CPU Usage with R 2.1.0 in Windows (and with R 2.3.1)

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon Aug 7 14:57:48 CEST 2006

Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> Markus Preisetanz wrote:
>> ... I have exactly the same issue with R 2.3.1 . The Question is: Why is R unable to take more CPU space to make the calculation process go faster?
>>
>> In my case no hardisk nor any network device is involved (data in RAM, 600 of 1024 MB filled) - and the CPU usage of the rgui-process does not exceed 50%.
>>
>> Has anybody an idea? Is there a setting a can change?
>>
> You are probably on a dual core or hyperthreaded machine.  R does almost
> all of its work in one thread, so it will max out the usage on one cpu,
> but not more than one.
>
> If you are on a hyperthreaded machine, you can disable hyperthreading
> and the report should show 100% usage, but that doesn't mean things will
> be going twice as fast.  (I have heard that hyperthreading does slow
> down some computations, so turning it off might be a good idea, but I
> have never done the measurements myself.)

Highly depends on the task. I have seen two WinBUGS processes on a
hyperthreading machine making full use of hyperthreading and surpisingly
completing *both* in the same time as one on the same machine with
hyperthreading disabled. I don't think Intel folks will find many of
such impressive examples ...

Uwe Ligges